Thursday 24 November 2011

A safe haven, but short on appeal


At the risk of making it look as though I spend a disproportionate amount of time in our smallest roomw, I can’t resist the opportunity to share another toilet sign with you.

It read ‘Out of order. Please do not use.’

What’s special about that, I hear you ask? We see it all the time. Very irritating it is too, but profoundly banal.

Ah, but you’ve missed the point, I reply. This sign was on the inside of the door. What it was saying was ‘this loo is absolutely fine, but out there things are seriously messed up. Probably best not to take the chance of going back.’

Probably good advice
Not far off the mark, I’d say. Probably good advice. Sadly, though, even if I do spend longer in toilets than is strictly customary, I have to confess that I find the possibilities they offer frankly limited. Not that attractive a spot in which to take refuge from the evils of the world.

So I screwed up my courage and plunged back out into the maelstrom we call daily life. Scary stuff, but more entertaining.

Still, I appreciate the advice from the lavatory. Nice to know someone is looking out for us that way.

1 comment:

Maki said...

Maybe one of these new kindles (fire) coupled with the "out of order" comment, would make staying in the loo a good choice?